July 11, 2018
Here we are in the HEAT of the Summer, which seemed to start the 2nd week of May this year with August type temperatures! Of course, no one was ready for that quick of a start to Summer, especially after a crazy cool April!
So, with this topic, let’s ask the question ‘How Prepared’ are you to take the court during the hot season?
Here are a few quick basic tips to get you started!
- Drink 12-16 oz of water, 1 hour before you play, and 4-8 oz after warmup and on changeovers if playing a match (adequate breaks in drills as well)
- Of course avoid the coffee, tea, cokes right before and after play….and even during the course of the day!
- Some easy snacks before and after with a little salt – pretzels, saltines, cheese, salted sports drinks(Pedialyte)….also yogurts, bananas and energy bars!
- Turkey or Grilled Chicken sandwiches (mustard) light salted crackers, apples, Powerade’s are good 3-4 hours before playing!
- In these Hot, humid conditions, depending on age and shape you can sweat out 32-88oz of fluid an hour…….and if you’re feeling thirsty, you could already be dehydrated.
- Enjoy the Summer, but Prevent what a lot of times can be prevented. It’s HOT but play can continue….. LISTEN to your body, and don’t push it!
Now to the COURT!
This Saturday, July 14th – Wimbledon at Southern Oaks! We already have a Great signup for a fun day of the Wimbledon Traditions. No partner needed, starts at 9am, and concludes by noon.
Champagne, Strawberries & Cream, and surely you have ALL WHITE attire, correct? Cost is $22 per player or $15 for members! If you would like to play, please contact us by noon Friday!
Junior Mid Cities, July 21st – Tournament ID, 800069718! Singles for juniors in divisions 8-18 yrs, non-qualified – Deadline is Wednesday, July 18 at www.usta.com
UTR #2, July 28th & 29th – Singles will be played on Saturday, Doubles on Sunday! www.myutr.com to register – Deadline is Monday, July 23rd.
Our 1st Friday Night Lights coming on July 20th
starting at 7pm! Signup with your favorite partner to enjoy a night out or to practice with some casual mixed doubles!
Cost is $8 per person, or no charge for SOGTC members. Also, have kids 5-12 yrs and you don’t have a place for them this night? We will provide junior fun on the courts!
Cost for the kids is $15 per child, or $10 for members – snacks & drinks provided. Please let us know by Friday morning the 20th, if you have kids to sign up.
Monday Nights are Play Nights!! Our Ladies Lonestar Night group plays every Monday (2.5 level) and our Men(all levels) have started their group each week at 7pm. Men if interested, email Miguel at email@example.com or let us know if you want to be on his text list.
Play Nights are $8pp or no charge for members!
Drills that keep your game SHARP!
- Monday – Men’s, 3.5/4.0 6pm
- Tuesday/Thursday – Junior Performance, 6:30pm
- Wednesday – Men’s 3.0, 7pm
- Thursday – Women’s 2.5/3.0, 5:30pm & Open Drill for men/women, 6:30pm (free to our members)
NO CARDIO Drill this Saturday, due to our Wimbledon Mixer!!
Save the DATE
- August 17, 18 & 19 – SUMMER SIZZLER (200 level USTA Tournament)! It’s not too early to start thinking about the Sizzler.
- Singles, Doubles & Mixed offered in 2.5,3.0, 3.5, 4.0, 4.5 & Open – also this year we offer men’s/women’s 50+ singles & doubles in 3.5,4.0 & 4.5
- Deadline, August 10th – www.usta.com, under tournament ID 800017818! Singles could start Friday afternoon, all doubles will start on Saturday!
Thanks to all the kids that have been out this week in camp! Next camp starts on Monday, July 16th at 5pm – contact us to sign up or to get more information!
The 100’s are coming back!! Stay hydrated!
See you on the COURT!!